Re: Materialized views WIP patch - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Materialized views WIP patch
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> writes:
>> You could make that same claim about plain views, but in point of
>> fact the demand for making them work in COPY has been minimal.
>> So I'm not convinced this is an essential first-cut feature.
>> We can always add it later.

> Of course.  I just had the impression that we could support COPY FROM by
> *deleting* a couple lines from Kevin's patch, rather than it being extra
> work.

Even if it happens to be trivial in the current patch, it's an added
functional requirement that we might later regret having cavalierly
signed up for.  And, as noted upthread, relations that support only
one direction of COPY don't exist at the moment; that would be adding
an asymmetry that we might later regret, too.