Re: Hash index use presently(?) discouraged since 2005: revive or bury it? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Hash index use presently(?) discouraged since 2005: revive or bury it?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Stefan Keller <sfkeller@gmail.com> writes:
> 2011/9/14 Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
>> (...) I think that
>> the current state of affairs is still what depesz said, namely that
>> there might be cases where they'd be a win to use, except the lack of
>> WAL support is a killer.  I imagine somebody will step up and do that
>> eventually.

> How much of work (in man days) do you estimate would this mean for
> someone who can program but has to learn PG internals first?

No idea ... I'm probably not the best person to estimate how long it
would take someone to get up to speed on the relevant internals,
but I'm sure that would take longer than actually doing the work.
While it's not a trivial task, I think it fits the definition of
"a small matter of programming": a piece of code whose anticipated
length is significantly greater than its complexity.

            regards, tom lane