Re: Deprecating, and scheduling removal of, pg_dump's tar format. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Deprecating, and scheduling removal of, pg_dump's tar format.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 07/26/2018 07:41 PM, Christophe Pettus wrote:
>> On Jul 26, 2018, at 19:35, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
>>
>> Why, specifically, would it make them unhappy?
> Forensic and archive backups in .tar format (which I know of users doing) would require a two-step restore process on
newerversions.

I am a +1 for removing the format, though I would suggest we leave it as
a restore option (pg_restore) for at least two more major releases. It
is nice to get rid of cruft.

JD

> --
> -- Christophe Pettus
>     xof@thebuild.com

PostgreSQL centered full stack support, consulting and development.
Advocate: @amplifypostgres || Learn: https://postgresconf.org
*****     Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own.   *****