Re: staring pgsql on fedora 8 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From newbiegalore
Subject Re: staring pgsql on fedora 8
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 6, 10:12 pm, t...@sss.pgh.pa.us (Tom Lane) wrote:
> newbiegalore <banerjee.anir...@gmail.com> writes:
> > When I use this command $> service postgresql initdb  nothing really
> > happens. The display says, initializing database and then nothing.
> > I've waited for 10 minutes at a stretch and CPU/memory utilization
> > doesn't seem to be going out of the window implying some major
> > processing of some sort..!
>
> Shouldn't take more than a minute to finish initdb, even on very slow
> hardware.  Have you looked to see if anything gets created under
> /var/lib/pgsql/?  In particular, if /var/lib/pgsql/pgstartup.log
> exists, looking into that file might tell you something.
>
> I'm assuming you're using the standard Fedora RPMs for PG, which
> at this writing are
> postgresql-libs-8.2.6-1.fc8
> postgresql-8.2.6-1.fc8
> postgresql-server-8.2.6-1.fc8
> (There are more but this is the minimum set to run a postmaster.)

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

hey! thanks for the reply :-). I looked into the pgstartup.log file
and everything seems to have worked perfectly with the msg at the end
saying "Success: you can now start...."

but when I try to start it as a normal user using su normaluser my
computer just hangs.. arrrrgh!!!!
I can't even log in via ssh as a normal user. I found the exact
problem described at http://www.computing.net/linux/wwwboard/forum/29077.html
and at http://www.centos.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12082
but the solution is vague to me and using sudo doesn't help either.

I think it must all be related to permissions of some kind. Thanks for
the tip anyway :-) .
-A