Re: Is pg_regress --use-existing used by anyone or is it broken? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: Is pg_regress --use-existing used by anyone or is it broken?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On 30 Aug 2023, at 00:55, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote:
>
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2023 at 3:37 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel@yesql.se> wrote:
>>> It's handy when using pg_regress with a custom test suite, where I
>>> don't want to be nagged about disconnecting from the database every
>>> time.
>>
>> I'm curious about your workflow around it, it seems to me that it's kind of
>> broken so I wonder if we instead then should make it an equal citizen with temp
>> instance?
>
> I'm confused. You seem to think that it's a problem that
> --use-existing doesn't create databases and roles. But that's the
> whole point, at least for me.

Well, I think it's problematic that it doesn't handle database and role
creation due to it being buggy.  I'll have another look at fixing the issues to
see if there is more than what I posted upthread, while at the same time making
sure it will still support your use-case.

--
Daniel Gustafsson