Re: Can't restart Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Can't restart Postgres
Date
List pgsql-general
"Thom Brown" <thombrown@gmail.com> writes:
> The script is actually one which came with the Gentoo package.
> Okay, so I've manually tried starting the server now and told it to
> output any log to /tmp.  This is telling me that the request for a
> shared memory segment is higher than my kernel's SHMMAX parameter.  My
> bad, I've put my settings in incorrectly, and as it states in the
> config file, changes to that setting require a restart.  I've reset
> all values to back to how they were and it is running again.

Yeah, SHMMAX overrun is a pretty common problem.  You really need to
complain to whoever maintains the Gentoo package that their start script
is so utterly, noisily unhelpful in the presence of a postmaster startup
issue.

            regards, tom lane