Re: Conference "OSS 2.0 : Leveraging the Open Source community for business" - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Dirk Riehle
Subject Re: Conference "OSS 2.0 : Leveraging the Open Source community for business"
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 6:41 AM, Michael Meskes <meskes@postgresql.org> wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 08:28:59AM +0200, Gabriele Bartolini wrote:
>> The workshop is open to all researchers and members of the OSS community.
>> The Organizing Committee will select the participants through a double blind
>> review process. At least one author of each accepted submission must attend
>> the workshop and all workshop participants must pay the workshop
>> registration fee.
>
> Does this really mean I'd have to pay to hold a presentation? Or did I
> completely misunderstand this?

It is an academic conference, and typically participation in a
workshop at a conference requires you register for the conference. The
conference costs money, and sometimes (as in this case) the workshop
as well (in addition).

Before anyone gets upset: These academic conference are comparatively
cheap, certainly cheaper than commercial conferences, and they are
budgeted to break even (non-profit behind it). But of course it is
more expensive than a free unconference or something.

Being a presenter doesn't buy you anything unless you have been
specifically invited by the chairs.

Dirk

--
Phone: +1 650 215 3459