Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Amy Young
Subject Re: [NOVICE] PostgreSQL Training
Date
List pgsql-general
Bret,

Thanks for voicing your opinion.  I'll second it as loudly as I can.

I work for a small 5 member team in a major hospitality corporation.
Our team has a mish mash of responsibilities (help desk, tool design
through MS Excel and MS Access, and corporate reporting).  We are just
pushing the limits of MS Access capabilities with the amount of data we
are getting pushed to us for our corporate reporting.  The amount of
data is only going to grow and we realize we NEED to move to a SQL
server of some kind.  Cost containment is a huge factor, so the
free-ware aspect of PostgresQL is extremely enticing.  However, only 1
person on our team has ANY experience with SQL servers and none with
PostgreSQL. We originally started investigating MySQL, but found it to
be slower than the convoluted work around we've developed in MS Access.
Further investigation revealed that it may be due to how we had the
server set up.  Then, someone suggestions PostgreSQL.

I have been reading what I can, and while I understand some of the
concepts, and I am still mostly floundering my way through "Greek".  I
need a strong foundation in the basics. I had found the MySQL class and
have added that to my goals for next year.  However, it will take some
strong arguments to convince my superiors to send me to training for
something that will "sort of" apply to what we are doing in the office.
So my options are: use MySQL instead or don't go to training.

In the mean time, I will investigate the "21 day" book (I have used the
series many times!) and hope the PostgreSQL community will recognize the
need for some training classes (The certifications are optional as far
as I'm concerned, though I recognize the power of certifications since I
used to teach at New Horizons Computer Training Center.  I just want
someone to hold my hand and walk me through the entire process so I can
learn the lingo.  Then, I can figure things out on my own).  And I'll be
asking as many questions on the list server as I can.

Cheers,

Amy Young
Sr. Revenue Analyst
Memphis, TN