Re: Optimize ORDER BY ... LIMIT - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Optimize ORDER BY ... LIMIT
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> I don't know if this is the same thing you are talking about, but Oleg
> talked to me on the conference about "partial sort", which AFAICS it's
> about the same thing you are talking about.  I think Teodor submitted a
> patch to implement it, which was rejected because of not being general
> enough.

Oof, you have a long memory. Oleg does reference such a thing in his 2002 post
that ended up resulting in the TODO item. I can't find the original patch but
I doubt any patch against 7.1 is going to be all that helpful in understanding
what to do today.

I'm also confused how he only saw a factor of 6 improvement in reading the top
100 out of a million. I would expect much better.