Re: [HACKERS] Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Proposed patch - psql wraps at window width
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre@commandprompt.com> writes:

> The fact that it's wrapped is not a new format in itself, just a property of
> the aligned format.

Well I agree I just don't see any benefit to presenting it that way. I mean,
sure "wrapped" means "aligned and wrapped", but it's just shorthand notation
anyways.

In fact, it seems the only reason to separate the two like you're describing
would be if it *were* possible to have a wrapped html. Then your notation
could handle things "\pset format wrapped" couldn't:

\pset format html:autowrap

But I think we agree that isn't happening so why spell it "aligned:autowrap"
instead of just "wrap"?

--
  Gregory Stark