Re: scheduling of index rebuild , analyze , etc... - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: scheduling of index rebuild , analyze , etc...
Date
List pgsql-novice
Machiel Richards <machielr@rdc.co.za> writes:

> Hi All
>
>        I am fairly newbie to Postgresql and need to have the following done.
>        ---- There have been a lot of data loads onto one of the
>        databases and has resulted in some of the day to day queries to
>        become very slow.
>        I would like to perhaps Analyze the tables in this database as well as maybe rebuild the indexes (not sure on
whetherthis is the right thing to do
> exactly)

after a big load of data it could be usefull to ANALYZE tables... just
execute ANALYZE no need to rebuild indexes

>        Can someone please assist me on how to do this and whether / how this can perhaps be scheduled to be done
everyso often.

autovacuum take cares of it normally, but if a lot of data was loaded
into several tables it can take a while until autovacuum process all of
them that's why in that case is better to execute ANALYZE manually

--
Jaime Casanova         www.2ndQuadrant.com
Professional PostgreSQL