Re: [BUGS] We are not following the spec for HAVING without GROUP - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: [BUGS] We are not following the spec for HAVING without GROUP
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Dennis Bjorklund <db@zigo.dhs.org> writes:

> They are aggregate functions, the avg() is a window aggregate function
> according to the standard. It runs over all values in the same partition.
>
> > -- albeit functions that use data from other records other
> > than the one being output.
>
> Yes, and not just one other record, but a number of them. Isn't that what
> aggregate functions are?

Er, yeah. They're aggregate functions in that they consider many records as
input. However they're not aggregate functions in that they produce an output
for every record, as opposed to outputting only one value for a whole group.

--
greg