Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Feature Freeze date for 8.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Martijn van Oosterhout" <kleptog@svana.org> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 02:39:43PM -0700, David Fetter wrote:
>> The one below is already available, so we don't have to do a "flag
>> day" with it.
>>
>> http://repo.or.cz/w/PostgreSQL.git
>
> As someone who hasn't used GIT: if I have a modified CVS tree from some time
> back (>1 year) can I use this to manage the bitrot? Just doing a CVS
> update will probably just mark everything conflicted, so I'm wondering
> is GIT can do it better.

Well it could except not here where the git repository is being fed from CVS.
CVS is just not gathering a lot of the information that helps git and the
other distributed systems do their job. Namely it has no idea which changes
were committed together as part of the same patch, and it has no idea where
those changes came from and whether they're also in your tree.