Re: Deprecating, and scheduling removal of, pg_dump's tar format. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Gierth
Subject Re: Deprecating, and scheduling removal of, pg_dump's tar format.
Date
List pgsql-hackers

 >> Why did we invent "custom" format dumps instead of using a standard
 >> container-file format like tar/cpio/zip/whatever?

 Andres> Because they're either not all that simple, or don't random
 Andres> read access inside. But that's just a guess, not fact.

A more significant factor is that tar (like most file archive formats)
doesn't allow streamed _write_ access - you need to know the size of
each archive member in advance, hence why -Ft has to copy each table to
a temp file and then copy that into the archive.

--
Andrew.