Re: Two weeks to feature freeze - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jason Earl
Subject Re: Two weeks to feature freeze
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Dann Corbit" <DCorbit@connx.com> writes:

>> Why couldn't you just release the win32 version of 7.4 when
>> it was finished.  If it takes an extra month then that just
>> gives you guys the chance to circulate *two* press releases.
>> The Native Win32 port is likely to make a big enough splash
>> all by itself.
>
> A formal release needs a big testing effort.  Two separate releases
> will double the work of validation.

There are several problems with that statement.  The first is that
PostgreSQL's "testing effort" happens right here on this mailing list.
The various PostgreSQL hackers code stuff up, and we try and break it.
There's very little /effort/ involved.  People that want the new
features go out on a limb and start using them.  If they don't work,
then they bring it up on the list.  If they do work then very little
gets said.

As it now stands Tom Lane is on the record as stating that the new
Win32 version isn't going to be ready for production anyhow.  If
anything the Win32 version *should* get released separately simply
because we don't want people mistaking the Win32 version as being up
to the PostgreSQL teams high standards.  Those people that want the
Win32 version to become production ready are going to have to risk
their precious data.  Otherwise, the Win32 version will likely remain
a second class citizen forever.

The fact of the matter is that the Win32 specific bits are the parts
that are likely to break in the new port.  If anything the Windows
version will *benefit* from an earlier *nix release because the *nix
users will chase down the bugs in the new PostgreSQL features.  Once
the *nix version is up to 7.4.2 (or so) then a Windows release of
7.4.2 should allow the PostgreSQL hackers to simply chase down Windows
specific problems.

Adding a new platform--especially a platform as diverse from the rest
of PostgreSQL's supported platforms as Windows--is what adds the work.
Testing the new platform is relatively easy.  All you need to do is to
start using the Win32 version with real live data.

Jason