Re: datum passed to macro which expects a pointer - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: datum passed to macro which expects a pointer
Date
List pgsql-patches
"Gavin Sherry" <swm@alcove.com.au> writes:

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 07:07:48PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> Gavin Sherry <swm@alcove.com.au> writes:
>> > I wish. It was actually thrown up when we (Greenplum) changed the macros
>> > to be inline functions as part of changing Datum to be 8 bytes.
>>
>> Hmmm ... Datum has been 8 bytes for many years, on 64-bit machines.
>> What is it you're trying to accomplish by making it wider on 32-bitters?
>
> I miss stated there. This was actually about making key 64 bit types
> pass by value instead of pass by reference.

There was a patch to do this posted recently here as well.

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2008-03/msg00335.php

Hm. I suppose it's true that you could make Datum 64-bit even on 32-bit
machines and make int8 and float8 pass-by-value. Seems unlikely to be a net
win though.

--
  Gregory Stark