Re: Overhauling GUCS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Overhauling GUCS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Andreas Pflug" <pgadmin@pse-consulting.de> writes:

> I personally wouldn't even think about starting such a wizard, unless I have an
> idea how to push the result into the database. No, not a file, but via SQL! So
> your statement you won't react unless a wizard is almost ready is prohibitive,
> apart from the fact that not only wizards (featuring AI) are interesting, but
> simple config tools as well.

Well there's a perfectly good place to start today. Dump out a config file
with the settings your wizard or config tool wants to change from their
current values.

We could come up with a canonical filename for such a file and include an
include directive for it in the standard configuration file or you could just
include instructions saying what include line to add to your config file in
the installation instructions for your tool.

Great, I'm glad we've resolved that issue.

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's On-Demand Production
Tuning