Re: Sorting Improvements for 8.4 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Sorting Improvements for 8.4
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Greg Smith" <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:

> On Wed, 19 Dec 2007, Dann Corbit wrote:
>
>> Benchmarking a single system will really only explain that system.
>> Someone may have a disk farm with 2GB/Sec throughput
>> But such a configuration is very unlikely.
>
> If you believe comments like those at
> http://www.c0t0d0s0.org/archives/1792-Do-it-yourself-X4500.html it's possible
> to hit >2GB/s total to the 48 disks in one of the Sun X4500 servers, which
> start at $24K.  May be unlikely to you, but I was reading there after I set one
> up last night, and that's a boring standard configuration for some Sun and
> Greenplum customers.

Surely such machines have kickass memory backplanes too though? How could it
ever be reasonable to have an i/o controller with more bandwidth than your
memory?

--  Gregory Stark EnterpriseDB          http://www.enterprisedb.com Ask me about EnterpriseDB's 24x7 Postgres support!