Re: Using PK value as a String - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Using PK value as a String
Date
Re: Using PK value as a String
List pgsql-performance
"Mario Weilguni" <mweilguni@sime.com> writes:

> UUID is already a surrogate key not a natural key, in no aspect better than a
> numeric key, just taking a lot more space.
>
> So why not use int4/int8?

The main reason to use UUID instead of sequences is if you want to be able to
generate unique values across multiple systems. So, for example, if you want
to be able to send these userids to another system which is taking
registrations from lots of places. Of course that only works if that other
system is already using UUIDs and you're all using good generators.

You only need int8 if you might someday have more than 2 *billion* users...
Probably not an urgent issue.

--
  Gregory Stark