Re: Change port number - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Change port number
Date
List pgsql-admin
In the last exciting episode, rodrigo.sakai@poli.usp.br ("Rodrigo Sakai") wrote:
>   I have a question about changing the port number of Databases
> server. It was told to me that is a good administrative practice to
> change the port number of the services, like change the 5432 to 6985
> or any other number. This is for security reasons. Is really a good
> practice?

Well, it would presumably protect against certain kinds of "script
kiddie" attacks which assume that PostgreSQL can only ever run on port
5432.

It won't protect terribly much against a concerted attack.

We use variant port numbers a lot because we have multiple database
instances in our environments.  The measure isn't "protective" so much
as it is necessary, since at most one instance can use port 5432...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="gmail.com" in String.concat "@" [name;tld];;
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/internet.html