Re: When to encrypt - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: When to encrypt
Date
List pgsql-general
Daniel Martini <dmartini@uni-hohenheim.de> writes:

> Well, where do you plan to keep the key for your encrypted backup tapes,
> like you suggested in another post in this thread ;-)
> That's pretty much the same problem.

No it's not. I can keep the key for the encrypted backup tapes in my pocket. I
won't need it unless I'm restoring a backup, where I'll be present. Your hard
drives need to be decrypted by the database whenever it's running. If you can
deal with your database being unavailable after a reboot until manual
intervention then you're ok. But most people can't.

--
greg