Re: crypting prosrc in pg_proc - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: crypting prosrc in pg_proc
Date
Re: crypting prosrc in pg_proc  ("Jonah H. Harris" <jonah.harris@gmail.com>)
Re: crypting prosrc in pg_proc  (Sergiy Vyshnevetskiy <serg@vostok.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
"Jonah H. Harris" <jonah.harris@gmail.com> writes:

> Obfuscation doesn't really work, it just makes big wigs in companies
> *think* it's not easily reversible.
>
> There is no real security.  With enough time and experience, anything
> can be broken.

But that said, I wonder if having something may be useful legally for some
users.

If someone just went and did "select * from pg_proc" they could claim they
weren't violating their EULA or any protection you had put in place. If they
went through the trouble having to de-obfuscate it then you would have a
strong DMCA claim in the US.

But Jonah's entirely right that there's no way to make it technically
impossible to de-obfuscate. All you can do is make any casual observer pause
and decide to break your license agreement.

If you don't believe him, just as the DVDCCA...