Re: UTF8 on Debian - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: UTF8 on Debian
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Gregory Stark" <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:

> Hm, now things work correctly within the server if I play with text data
> generated with convert_from(). But I can't seem to send utf-8 text directly in
> psql any more:

Ah, figured it out, nothing to do with the server. I didn't have the locale
set to a UTF8 locale before starting up psql. I'm a bit puzzled how the locale
psql is started up in works into this though. It seems to confuse psql's lexer
at the least.

But it goes to all this trouble to track client_encoding, shouldn't it be
using that? Or at least warning you if the encoding it's run under doesn't
match it?