Re: Proposal - temporal contrib module - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Proposal - temporal contrib module
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> writes:
> If I understand what you're saying, you're alluding to a type where you
> can do things like:
>   RANGE(timestamptz)
> which would be equivalent to a PERIOD.

The RANGE approach sounds so much better from here, as I have the
prefix_range example nearby... it'd be nice if it could benefit.

> Typmod almost provides enough flexibility, but it can't store a full
> OID, so we'd need to get creative. There are probably some other issues
> here as well, because the current type system isn't really designed for
> this kind of thing. Do you have any ideas or guidance here?

When talking about the extension facility it has been said PostGIS is
being creative for lacking of typmod capabilities. It could mean it's
past time for a typmod reality check?

Regards,
--
dim