Re: Interpreting shared_buffers setting - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Jerry Sievers
Subject Re: Interpreting shared_buffers setting
Date
List pgsql-performance
Bob Jolliffe <bobjolliffe@gmail.com> writes:

> Excuse me if this is a silly question.  I am trying to fiddle with
> shared_buffers setting on postgresql 10.6 on ubuntu 18.04 server.
>
> I have this at bottom of my config file:
> shared_buffers = 1GB
>
> Yet when I check the setting from pg_setting I see something quite different:
>
> postgres=# SELECT name, setting FROM pg_settings where name = 'shared_buffers';
>       name      | setting
> ----------------+---------
>  shared_buffers | 131072

Why not use the show command which is good about output in human
terms...

psql (11.1 (Ubuntu 11.1-1.pgdg16.04+1))
Type "help" for help.

meta_a:postgres# select name, setting from pg_settings where name = 'shared_buffers');
ERROR:  syntax error at or near ")"
LINE 1: ...me, setting from pg_settings where name = 'shared_buffers');
                                                                     ^
meta_a:postgres#

--
Jerry Sievers