Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Florian Weimer
Subject Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres
Date
Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres  (Kenneth Downs <ken@secdat.com>)
Re: Announce: GPL Framework centered on Postgres  ("Jim C. Nasby" <jnasby@pervasive.com>)
List pgsql-general
* Joshua D. Drake:

>>> Sounds great! But why GPL? Are you looking to sell licenses?
>> GPL is to spread it as far and wide as possible as fast as possible.
>
> LGPL?
>
> My concern would be, I can't use this toolkit for a closed source
> application if it is GPL.

Closed source?  It's a PHP framework. 8-)

Anyway, for a web application, the GPL is usually *less* restrictive
than various BSD license variants because you do not need to mention
the software in the end user documentation.  The viral aspect of the
GPL does not come into play because you do not actually distribute the
software.  You just run it on your servers.