Re: Hosted servers with good DB disk performance? - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: Hosted servers with good DB disk performance?
Date
List pgsql-performance
Hi,

Greg Smith <gsmith@gregsmith.com> writes:

> I keep falling into situations where it would be nice to host a server
> somewhere else.  Virtual host solutions and the mysterious cloud are no good
> for the ones I run into though, as disk performance is important for all the
> applications I have to deal with.

A french company here is working on several points of interest for you,
I'd say. They provide dedicated server renting and are working on their
own OpenSource cloud solution, so there's nothing mysterious about it,
and you can even run the software in your own datacenter(s).
  http://lost-oasis.fr/
  http://www.niftyname.org/

OK, granted, the company's french and their site too, but the OpenSource
cloud solution is in english and the code available in public git
repositories (and tarballs).

> What I'd love to have is a way to rent a fairly serious piece of dedicated
> hardware, ideally with multiple (at least 4) hard drives in a RAID
> configuration and a battery-backed write cache.  The cache is
> negotiable. Linux would be preferred, FreeBSD or Solaris would also work;
> not Windows though (see "good DB performance").
>
> Is anyone aware of a company that offers such a thing?

Did you omit to say "english spoken" as a requirement? :)
--
dim