New Logo guidelines, usw. - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Hal Snyder
Subject New Logo guidelines, usw.
Date
List pgsql-docs
As has already been suggested, to ask Vittoria to keep guessing at
what we might like, without giving her guidelines, is poor use of
everyone's time.

Here's another go at web site requirements. I plan to wait a couple
days for feedback from this group, then package some of this into a
reply to Vittoria.

Logo.
 Should begin with a capital "P".
 Setting off "SQL" in "PostgreSQL" is a good idea.
 Should have 3-D feel, not flat.
 Colors.   Avoid drab colors such as olive green, pea green, beige.   I personally favor a mix of gray, blue, white,
andblack.

 Should stand out on a light background.
 We need at least two forms of the logo:   large (about 450x90 pixels) for the main page   smaller (about 160x60
pixels)"Powered by PostgreSQL" - for advocacy

Color Scheme for Pages.
 Background should be a light color.
 Text, headings, separator lines, etc. should be black or in a color compatible with the logo.

Page Layout.
 A typical page should have:   navigation bar at left   body consisting of about 7 major items   information density
likethat of Gimp and FreeBSD home pages

 A page should be able to fill any size browser window, 640x480 to 1600x1200.

Navigation.
 Although there will be additional crosslinks, the general layout of the site is a tree, with the home page at the
top.
 If a page has descendants, it should have a navigation bar on its left. (I don't like navigation bars that are mostly
thesame from one page to the next, for the same reason I don't like frames - they reduce the amount of screen that can
carrynew information when you follow a link.)

 Pages other than the home page should have the equivalent of a "Back" button as the top navbar item - it might be
called"Main" or "Home" or such but always takes viewer to the immediate parent of the current page.

 The navigation bar may show hints other than immediate descendants and parent of the current page, if this isn't too
cluttered(like the navigation tube on the gimp site).

 Gliding the mouse over items on the navigation bar should display additional useful information about the underlying
link.

Top-Level Site Map.
 Main page   Body     Current Release     What is PostgreSQL?     Mirror Sites     Work in Progress     History
NavigationBar     Product Information     Downloads     Support     Compatible Software     Development     Search
ContactUs

---
Hal