Re: TIMESTAMP WITH( OUT)? TIME ZONE indexing/type choice... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Greg Stark
Subject Re: TIMESTAMP WITH( OUT)? TIME ZONE indexing/type choice...
Date
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org> writes:
>
> Also, although the on-disk format of the two types might be the same,
> that doesn't mean they have the same interpretation of a given byte
> value. They don't (unless you run your database with TimeZone = GMT).

This is a point I'm unclear on as well, the documentation is very confusing.

The documentation I've read makes it sound like these two data types are
equivalent in every way except for the default timezone assumed interpretation
when converting to and from textual representations. Is that not true?

--
greg