Re: Proposed LogWriter Scheme, WAS: Potential Large - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: Proposed LogWriter Scheme, WAS: Potential Large
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greg Copeland <greg@CopelandConsulting.Net> writes:
> Ya, I have read this before.  The problem here is that I'm not aware of
> which AIO implementation on Linux is the forerunner nor do I have any
> idea how it's implementation or performance details defer from that of
> other implementations on other platforms.

The implementation of AIO in 2.5 is the one by Ben LaHaise (not
SGI). Not sure what the performance is like -- although it's been
merged into 2.5 already, so someone can do some benchmarking. Can
anyone suggest a good test?

Keep in mind that glibc has had a user-space implementation for a
little while (although I'd guess the performance to be unimpressive),
so AIO would not be *that* kernel-version specific.

> Anyone have any idea of Red Hat's Advanced Server uses KAIO or what?

RH AS uses Ben LaHaise's implemention of AIO, I believe.

Cheers,

Neil