Re: [HACKERS] Readline use in trouble? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Milan Zamazal
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Readline use in trouble?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
   TL> The GPL does restrict the conditions under which GPL'd code can   TL> be distributed; in particular it can't be
distributedas part of   TL> a program that is not all GPL'd (more or less --- I have not   TL> read the terms lately).
So,because we use BSD license rather   TL> than GNU, we cannot *include in our distribution* any library   TL> that is
underGPL.

[All IMHO, I'm not a lawyer etc. too.]

I think that from the point of GPL there is basically no problem with
PostgreSQL license, since it contains no restriction incompatible with
GPL.

The situation with Aladdin Ghostscript is quite different, it is under
non-free license, its license is in conflict with GPL and so it clearly
can't use GPLed code.

However, including GPLed code into PostgreSQL, though I think it's fully
legal, means that third party can't take the PostgreSQL as a whole and
distribute it under license violating GPL, e.g. as a proprietary product
without available sources.  If it is important for you to support *more*
restrictive licensing than GPL, then you should avoid inclusion of GPLed
code into PostgreSQL.

Milan Zamazal