Re: PL/TCL Patch to prevent postgres from becoming multithreaded - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: PL/TCL Patch to prevent postgres from becoming multithreaded
Date
Re: PL/TCL Patch to prevent postgres from becoming multithreaded  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-patches
"Bruce Momjian" <bruce@momjian.us> writes:

> This has been saved for the 8.4 release:
>
>     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches_hold

> Marshall, Steve wrote:
>> There is a problem in PL/TCL that can cause the postgres backend to
>> become multithreaded.   Postgres is not designed to be multithreaded, so
>> this causes downstream errors in signal handling.

Um, this is a bug fix. Unless you had some problem with it?

Do we have anyone actively maintaining pltcl these days? I'm intentionally
quite unfamiliar with Tcl or I would be happy to verify it's reasonable. But
the explanation seems pretty convincing. If we don't have anyone maintaining
it then we're pretty much at the mercy of applying whatever patches come in
from people who are more familiar with it than us. In my experience that's how
new maintainers for modules of free software are often found anyways.

--
  Gregory Stark