Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dimitri Fontaine
Subject Re: pg_migrator to /contrib in a later 9.0 beta
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> My personal feeling is that pg_migrator should be fully integrated, but
> it's too late for that, obviously.  Let's do it for 9.1.

+1

> I also think that the standards for contrib should not be so lax that a
> completely new module can be added after beta.  (This is mostly informed
> by the feeling that contrib should go away entirely.)

+1

For the record, the contrib replacement would look like proper Extension
handling in dump&restore, PGXS support for windows, and PGAN for source
level archive distribution. We'd still rely on distributions support for
binaries.

Those are the technical layers we need, then we'd have a PGAN entry for
replacing contrib, and a host of other ones. The contrib Archive Network
would contain -core reviewed (and maintained?) extensions, the other
ones are on their own. Maybe the main other one would be (could be?) a
new component of pgfoundry.

Regards,
--
dim