Re: Questions about LIMIT/OFFSET - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: Questions about LIMIT/OFFSET
Date
List pgsql-general
On Oct 19, 2007, at 16:03 , Josh Trutwin wrote:

> SELECT * FROM table WHERE foo="bar" ORDER BY abc LIMIT x OFFSET y;

The server will have to generate at most OFFSET + LIMIT rows,
returning LIMIT rows or fewer.

> SELECT * FROM table WHERE foo="bar" ORDER BY abc;

This will return all of the rows available.

Unless you're going to be returning all of the rows where
foo="bar" (e.g., executing multiple LIMIT OFFSET queries) in one
request, I should think the first query would be more performant:
fewer rows for the server to process (in the final step at least) and
less data transmitted between the server and your application.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net