Re: dbt-2 tuning results with postgresql-8.3.5 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: dbt-2 tuning results with postgresql-8.3.5
Date
List pgsql-performance
"Mark Wong" <markwkm@gmail.com> writes:

>> I'm not sure how bad that is for the benchmarks. The only effect that comes to
>> mind is that it might exaggerate the effects of some i/o intensive operations
>> that under normal conditions might not cause any noticeable impact like wal
>> log file switches or even checkpoints.
>
> I'm not sure I'm following.

All I'm saying is that the performance characteristics won't be the same when
the service wait times are 1-10 seconds rather than the 20-30ms at which alarm
bells would start to ring on a real production system.

I'm not exactly sure what changes it might make though.

--
  Gregory Stark