Re: Gborg: announcement by 404 - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: Gborg: announcement by 404
Date
List pgsql-www
"Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg@turnstep.com> writes:

> Said in another list:
>> Now that gborg.postgresql.org is officially dead, seems like it'd be a
>> good idea to update all the references to it that are in the FAQ.
>
> Did I miss something, or was there no post made to -announce
> and/or -general about this? Since even people on the -www list
> seemed to have been caught by surprise by the move, I think we should at
> least make a public announcement. Perhaps a news item or other mention
> on the main postgresql.org page? Something on the main pgfoundry.org page?

I thought gborg had been announced as dead long ago.

> Some sort of redirect or friendlier message is needed as well. For
> example, the second link when Googling for "Postgres Slony" is:
>
> http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/slony1
>
> ...which now gives a very unfriendly 404 message from pgfoundry. Granted,
> the first Google hit is the authoritative one, but this is probably
> just the tip of the dead link iceberg. Google on 'pljava', 'dbdpg',
> or 'pgsphere' for some even scarier examples.

I think the problem here is that if there's an error Google will notice that
and stop returning search results. If there's a page saying "I'm not a page"
then Google will assume that's what's supposed to be there.

--
  Gregory Stark