Re: Need help in performance tuning. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Need help in performance tuning.
Date
Re: Need help in performance tuning.  (Brad Nicholson <bnichols@ca.afilias.info>)
Re: Need help in performance tuning.  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: Need help in performance tuning.  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-performance
Samuel Gendler <sgendler@ideasculptor.com> writes:
> On Thu, Jul 8, 2010 at 8:11 PM, Craig Ringer
> <craig@postnewspapers.com.au> wrote:
>> If you're not using a connection pool, start using one.

> I see this issue and subsequent advice cross this list awfully
> frequently.  Is there in architectural reason why postgres itself
> cannot pool incoming connections in order to eliminate the requirement
> for an external pool?

Perhaps not, but there's no obvious benefit either.  Since there's
More Than One Way To Do It, it seems more practical to keep that as a
separate problem that can be solved by a choice of add-on packages.

            regards, tom lane