Re: Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Christopher Browne
Subject Re: Lifecycle of PostgreSQL releases
Date
List pgsql-general
In an attempt to throw the authorities off his trail, jd@commandprompt.com ("Joshua D. Drake") transmitted:
>>> There is zero question that 8.2 is faster than 7.4 *but* if 7.4 isn't
>>> slow for them... Note, that I meant no reason for him to upgrade 7.4
>>> *right now*. He could wait for 8.3. (I think he should get off 7.4 in
>>> general)
>>
>> He could wait for 8.4 as well, as it will be probably faster and have
>> more features than 8.3.  Following your reasoning, one could wait
>> essentially forever.
>
> You have got to be kidding. There is quite a bit of difference between 3
> months and 17 months. From the persons email, he obviously has an array
> of production machines. This isn't hack fest 2000, just load up whatever.
>
> My professional opinion, and frankly the opinion we are telling our
> customers (except those that will explicitly benefit from something in
> 8.2) is to wait for 8.3.

At Afilias, we're mostly thru our upgrades from 7.4 to 8.1; while I'm
running buildfarm on 8.2, there's only one case where I'm presently
considering an 8.2 upgrade (the app *would* specifically benefit), and
I'm expecting that we won't bother much with the 8.2 branch.

We had a particular challenge that some apps got stuck on 7.4 for
excessively long because of JDBC customization; that held back
upgrades.  But now that that is "unstuck," I'm still not pushing to
schedule 8.2 upgrades for everything just because it's now "more
possible;" the upgrade process involves quite a lot of work, enough
that I think I'd rather skip to the next model.

I daresay that 8.1 was everything I was hoping for; the performance
improvements are looking really good.  I was living with 7.4; 8.1 is
plenty better and I think I can probably live with that for a year
before saying "oh, that's not good enough - I want 8.3!!!"

I'm not stuck on that answer; there's one system I *do* want to put on
8.2.  But I'm mostly inclined to wait for 8.3 for most of my "further
upgrade needs."
--
"cbbrowne","@","gmail.com"
http://linuxdatabases.info/info/