Re: [pgsql-www] Viewing Postgres website from China - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: [pgsql-www] Viewing Postgres website from China
Date
List pgsql-www
> On 12 Oct 2017, at 20:12, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
>
> On 10/12/2017 06:11 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> As you might know, China blocks Google web addresses in their
>> country-wide firewall.  Unfortunately, our website hangs for me when
>> I access this PG URL from China:
>>     https://www.postgresql.org/list/
>> It hangs reading information from ajax.googleapis.com.  Eventually it
>> times out and displays the page, but it takes a few minutes.  Any use of
>> that page, like viewing search result detail, also delays.
>> This affects anyone in China without an external VPN trying to access
>> our email archives web page.  Any reasonable idea if this can be
>> improved?  Thanks.
>
> Yep,
>
> The problem is here:
>
> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.8.3/jquery.min.js"></script>
>  <script type="text/javascript" src="https://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jqueryui/1.9.1/jquery-ui.min.js"></script>
>
> This is arguably a bad idea in general and we should probably host these ourselves.

Well, I think calling commonly used CDNs a bad idea "in general" is stretching
it a bit thin.  That being said, not being available in China makes it a no-go
and we should host it ourselves as we already do on the commitfest app.

cheers ./daniel