Re: Strange permission problem regarding pg_settings - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Strange permission problem regarding pg_settings
Date
List pgsql-general
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> This fix may need to be rethought.  I'm not sure though where is a clean
>> place to plug in the UPDATE permissions check given that the rules for
>> this case do not generate any UPDATE query.

> Do you want me to take a look at this, or are you planning to?

If you have any ideas, feel free to take a shot.  I've not thought of
anything I like.

I suspect the fact that the pre-patch code made the "right" permissions
check was really coincidental, and that the correct fix will not involve
reversion of that patch but rather adding a facility somewhere to ensure
that the original view gets properly permission-checked even if there's
a DO INSTEAD NOTHING rule.  However, before biting that bullet it'd
probably be good to understand in detail what's happening in both the
7.3.2 and CVS-tip code.  I have not looked at just why that patch
changes this example's behavior.

            regards, tom lane