Re: DROP COLUMN misbehaviour with multiple inheritance - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: DROP COLUMN misbehaviour with multiple inheritance
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:
> > Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> >> Has anyone given much thought as to perhaps we could just drop
> >> multiple inheritance from Postgres?
>
> > I am for it.  Multiple inheritance is more of a mess than a help.
>
> I'm not agin it

I'm abstaining.

> but if that's the lay of the land then we have no need to apply a
> last-minute catalog reformatting to fix a multiple-inheritance bug.

The catalog format has changed since beta1 anyway due to the casting
changes, right? (not to mention the split -> split_part change). If
that's the case, I don't see a good reason not to include the fix,
provided it's reasonably low-risk.

Cheers,

Neil