Re: A little COPY speedup - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Gregory Stark
Subject Re: A little COPY speedup
Date
Re: A little COPY speedup  (Andrew Dunstan <andrew@dunslane.net>)
List pgsql-patches
"Tom Lane" <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> "Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
>> Feedback from someone else looking to the problem last year. IIRC there
>> was a feeling that if we didn't have to search for delimiters the COPY
>> FROM input parsing could be easier.
>
> Of what use is the above comment?  You have to parse the input into
> fields somehow.

Well those two requirements aren't inconsistent if you're using fixed-width
input text files. Not that I'm enamoured of such file formats, just saying.

The only file formats I ever wanted when I was doing this kind of stuff is tab
separated, all the others (comma separated and (egads) *pipe* separated?!) are
just disasters.

--
  Gregory Stark