Re: PostgreSQL on 64 bit Linux - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Douglas McNaught
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on 64 bit Linux
Date
List pgsql-hackers
mark@mark.mielke.cc writes:

> Is there an interest, or any active project to examine PostgreSQL in
> the area of 64-bit processors? Has it already been done? I don't recall
> seeing a reference to it in my travels. I'm also not sure on what to
> expect for results, as the territory is still new. 64-bit processors
> have existed for a while, but 32-bit processors have been the popular
> choice, making 64-bit support an after thought?

I find this question a bit amusing, since PG has run on 64-bit
architectures such as MIPS, Sparc, Alpha and PA-RISC for quite a while
now. :)

As I said in a private email to Naz, the main advantage I think you'd
see from 64-bit is the ability to run with more than 2GB or so of
shared buffers on a system with lots of RAM.  Whether you'd want to do
that, or let the OS do most of the buffering, is an open question...

-Doug