Re: Change the name - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Christian Voelker
Subject Re: Change the name
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
Am 14.09.2007 um 21:51 schrieb Gregory Stark:

>> 2007-09-14_14:06:22-0400 Greg Sabino Mullane <greg@turnstep.com>:
>>
>>> Are they doing fine _despite_ their name? Let's be really honest,
>>> which
>>> project has a worse name than ours?
>
> Have you ever tried telling your boss that you're going to use "The
> Gimp" to design the new corporate logo?
>
> And then there's the saga of Mozilla a.k.a. Firefox a.k.a.
> Iceweasel or
> whatever it is this week.
>
> And of course there's "don't say OpenOffice" OpenOffice.org.
>
> Whatever the marketing people tell you, software names really just
> don't
> matter much.

Great examples, but wrong conclusion I believe.

Gimp is a perfect example of a Project where the name
is part of the problem.

Firefox became successful incidentally at the time when
the monsterous Mozilla was left behind. The Iceweasel
is a result of being too strict in the way they take
care for the name, but that does not make the general
direction worse. If the marketing people from Firefox
foundation would take time to understand Debian better,
they would allow them to do their packaging and let
them use the common name. And they probably will some
day. Especially as Ubuntu is becoming more and more
the overall preferred desktop distribution.

And OpenOffice, well, this example is perfect because
it is exactly the same case. Never heard anybody say
OpenOffice.org. Thats ridiculous. .org <-> QL ?

Bye, Christian