Re: Section 9.7.3.2. Bracket Expressions should be rewritten - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Section 9.7.3.2. Bracket Expressions should be rewritten
Date
List pgsql-docs
PG Doc comments form <noreply@postgresql.org> writes:
> I am a Postgres newbie, and I find this part of what is generally excellent
> documentation quite confusing. It contains the following disclaimer:

> Note
> PostgreSQL currently does not support multi-character collating elements.
> This information describes possible future behavior.

> I am very skeptical of the idea of documentation describing "possible future
> behavior."

What that means is "we don't implement this, but it's required by POSIX,
so we really ought to get around to it someday".

I have considered the idea of deleting mention of multi-character
collating elements from the preceding paragraph, but then we'd be
left with nothing but a statement that "[.x.]" means the same
thing as "x" inside a bracket expression.  Which is weird and
confusing enough that we'd still have to talk about multi-character
collating elements in order to explain why it's like that.

> Furthermore, it appears that this disclaimer has been part of the docs since
> at least version 10, so it's not even clear that this feature is even
> currently being seriously considered for implementation.

Hah!  Look a bit further back :-(

            regards, tom lane