Re: Catalog bloat (again) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jerry Sievers
Subject Re: Catalog bloat (again)
Date
List pgsql-general
Ivan Voras <ivoras@gmail.com> writes:

> On 28 January 2016 at 00:13, Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com> wrote:
>
>     On Wed, 27 Jan 2016 23:54:37 +0100
>     Ivan Voras <ivoras@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>     > So, question #1: WTF? How could this happen, on a regularly vacuumed
>     > system? Shouldn't the space be reused, at least after a VACUUM? The issue
>     > here is not the absolute existence of the bloat space, it's that it's
>     > constantly growing for *system* tables.
>
>     With a lot of activity, once a day probably isn't regular enough.
>
> I sort of see what you are saying. I'm curious, though, what goes wrong with the following list of expectations:
>
>  1. Day-to-day load is approximately the same
>  2. So, at the end of the first day there will be some amount of bloat
>  3. Vacuum will mark that space re-usable
>  4. Within the next day, this space will actually be re-used
>  5. ... so the bloat won't grow.
>
> Basically, I'm wondering why is it growing after vacuums, not why it exists in the first place?

Probably just a classic case of long-open transactions.

And/or vacuum running as an unprivileged user and thus can't vacuum
catalogs... perhaps  with a naive batch job launcher that sends stderr
to /dev/null.

--
Jerry Sievers
Postgres DBA/Development Consulting