Re: Slow connections on Win 7 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Sam Gendler
Subject Re: Slow connections on Win 7
Date
List pgsql-performance
I know nothing about running PostgreSQL in windows, but slowness in establishing connections on a particular host that
isn'treplicable elsewhere is very often the result of something doing reverse DNS lookups on a server when accepting
newconnections. Perhaps the client you are connecting from isn't set up to be resolvable via reverse dns? Maybe look in
thedocs for a way to disable reverse lookups on new connections? This is pure guesswork but may give you something to
investigatewhile you wait for a response from someone more knowledgable on your specific problem

Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 30, 2012, at 6:03 PM, John Kasarda <jbk@ValidAndRobust.com> wrote:

> I have been running Postgresql 9.2 under VMWare/WinXP-32bit, and it works really well.
>
> I finally decided to move to my host - Win 7 Ultimate 64bit - and installed the 64bit version with same config as the
32bit. When I tried to run it, it was extremely slow connecting to a 4 table database I use as a test when starting a
server. In pgAdminIII, any attempt to open the W7 hosted database takes 15-20 seconds.  Ditto to open a table.