Re: Postmaster failing to start on reboot - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postmaster failing to start on reboot
Date
List pgsql-general
> In another email you mention that this script sometimes doesn't stop PG.
> This is the relevant block of code, and you can see that the line
> starting "su -l postgres" has been commented out and replaced.
> That's strange, because my copy of pg_ctl refuses to run as root.

We added the no-root check to pg_ctl in 8.0beta4, so AFAICS this script
should *never* work to stop the postmaster if you are indeed dealing
with an 8.0.0 release.  The script change must have been made by someone
who was dealing with a pre-8.0 version (and even then, not one of the
later subreleases, because every branch since Oct 2004 has had this
check).

At least, it'd never work if executed by root.  It might work if
executed by postgres --- dunno whether any of the other stuff is
root-only.

In any case, the short answer is to get rid of this script and get
one that works properly ...

            regards, tom lane