Re: Lots of postmaster processes - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Lots of postmaster processes
Date
List pgsql-admin
Ameet Kini <akini@cs.wisc.edu> writes:
> In our installation of the postgres 7.4.7, we are seeing a lot of the
> following postmaster processes (around 50) being spawned by the initial
> postmaster process once in a while:

Lots of postmaster processes can only come from lots of connection
requests.  You need to look at the behavior of your client code and
see why it's doing that.

It might also be helpful to use a "ps" command that shows you the
per-process state displays rather than the original postmaster arguments.
What platform are you on?  The only one I know of offhand that does
the latter by default is Solaris --- see FAQ_Solaris for how to work
around it.

            regards, tom lane