Re: Re: [SQL] behavior of ' = NULL' vs. MySQL vs. Standards - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Ivar Helbekkmo
Subject Re: Re: [SQL] behavior of ' = NULL' vs. MySQL vs. Standards
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> writes:

> A compromise answer might be to offer a SET variable that selects the
> Microsoft-compatible misimplementation.  Would that fly?

I'd say that's the best way to handle stuff like this.  If you
implement something that breaks the standard, to be compatible with
arrogant programmers at Microsoft who feel that they are above such
things, you're encouraging users to develop bad habits.  Better to
make them go "SET MICROSOFT BUG COMPATIBILITY ON" first.

To see the effect of leniency in re standards, just try to browse
around the web with a browser that rejects incorrect HTML!  :-)

-tih
--
The basic difference is this: hackers build things, crackers break them.